ceramic and pottery section was added to Sir J.J. School of Art in 1895. Mr.
Terry, who was the teacher since 1857, was a good potter and continued to
create pottery after the school shifted in the current campus. Soon after the
existing building was complete in 1878, Mr. Terry retired as the Superintendent
of School of Art but for a long time after his retirement, the beautiful
pottery that he made in the School compound was widely popular both in India
and Europe, and his potteries were, in a way the foundation of the present
department of Pottery. He was successful in obtaining good quality clay and
producing glazed pots which could store oils, ghee and so on. The major project
of Ajanta reproduction under Mr. Griffiths influenced pottery as the designs
from Ajanta were incorporated over the ceramic pots, producing some of the best
artefacts of the period. 1882, Mr. Greenwood introduced Sind Pottery with their
characteristic metal-glazing. Painted and glazed pottery was produced at a very
early date hereafter the addition of ‘Sir George Clarks Studios and Technical
Laboratories’ in 1909, there was marked improvement in the materials and
processes in creation of artistic ceramics. The pottery section did experiments
regularly and in next few years not only tendered advice to private pottery
manufacturers but also conducted experiments for the plumago crucibles for
Indian Munitions Board.
establishment, the department has been advanced as following the English
ceramics tradition technically, while incorporating the oriental designs and
glazes. The department today has moved ahead to produce ceramic art works as
also the ceramic ware of utility.