The ceramic and pottery section was added to Sir J.J. School of Art in 1895. Mr. Terry, who was the teacher since 1857, was a good potter and continued to create pottery after the school shifted in the current campus. Soon after the existing building was complete in 1878, Mr. Terry retired as the Superintendent of School of Art but for a long time after his retirement, the beautiful pottery that he made in the School compound was widely popular both in India and Europe, and his potteries were, in a way the foundation of the present department of Pottery. He was successful in obtaining good quality clay and producing glazed pots which could store oils, ghee and so on. The major project of Ajanta reproduction under Mr. Griffiths influenced pottery as the designs from Ajanta were incorporated over the ceramic pots, producing some of the best artefacts of the period. 1882, Mr. Greenwood introduced Sind Pottery with their characteristic metal-glazing. Painted and glazed pottery was produced at a very early date hereafter the addition of ‘Sir George Clarks Studios and Technical Laboratories’ in 1909, there was marked improvement in the materials and processes in creation of artistic ceramics. The pottery section did experiments regularly and in next few years not only tendered advice to private pottery manufacturers but also conducted experiments for the plumago crucibles for Indian Munitions Board.
Since its establishment, the department has been advanced as following the English ceramics tradition technically, while incorporating the oriental designs and glazes. The department today has moved ahead to produce ceramic art works as also the ceramic ware of utility.